Make Your Debut At The Vienna Opera Ball
Each year, the defilé of the young ladies and young men’s committee is the highlight of the Vienna Opera Ball and at the same time the opening of a glamourous ball night.
Some 150 couples aged 17 to 24 feverishly await this moment: entering the world’s most beautiful ballroom once in their lifetime in an elegant, snow-white evening gown or tailcoat!
This is how you can apply as a debutant at the Vienna Opera Ball:
To be admitted to the young ladies and young men’s committee, you need to meet a number of requirements:
- you have very good left-turn waltzing skills
- you are between 17 and 24 years old
- you have never opened the Vienna Opera Ball before (you are allowed to open the ball only once)
then we look forward to receiving your application. Please understand that applying couples will be admitted on a preferred basis (individual applications by exception only).
Please click on the following link to download the registration form:
Please send the completed form and your CV (PDF, max. total size 1 MB) until 1st September 2019 by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Couples from Vienna, Lower Austria and Burgenland will be informed by e-mail about the appointment (time) for the dance audition in fall 2019. (Applicants from the other Austrian federal states or from abroad do not have to audition.)
Some weeks after the audition, the applicants, those who participated in the audition, as well as those who come from the other Austrian federal states or from abroad, will be informed by mail if they are allowed to open the Vienna Opera Ball 2020 as part of the young ladies and young men's committee.
Opera Ball Office
Ground floor, room 111
The audition for registered couples from Vienna, Lower Austria and Burgenland will take place in fall 2019 (dates to follow) in the Gustav Mahler Hall at Wiener Staatsoper. (Applicants from the other Austrian federal states or from abroad do not have to audition.) Entrance at the corner Herbert-von-Karajan-Platz / Ringstrasse.
Please bring a valid photo ID!
Dress code for the audition:
Ladies: black skirt, white blouse, nude tights, no shoes with plastic soles
Gentlemen: black suit, white shirt, tie, no shoes with plastic soles
Some weeks after the audition, the applicants, those who participated in the audition, as well as those who come from the other Austrian federal states or from abroad, will be informed by mail if they are allowed to open the Vienna Opera Ball 2020 as part of the young women and young men's Committee.
Debutant tickets for the Vienna Opera Ball cost EUR 120 and can only be paid cash.
All debutants 2020 will receive all information regarding rehearsal dates and the picking up of the debutant tickets with the confirmation email.
The following rehearsals have been scheduled for the preparatory phase:
- 3 rehearsals in Vienna for couples from Vienna and the surroundings
- 1 rehearsal in Vienna for couples from the rest of Austria
- 1 rehearsal for couples from abroad
- 2 main rehearsals at the Gustav Mahler Hall of the Wiener Staatsoper for all
- Dress rehearsal on Wednesday 19th February 2020 in the ballroom of Wiener Staatoper
Dress code for rehearsals:
Ladies: black skirt, white blouse, fleshings, no shoes rubber soles
Gentlemen: black suit, white shirt, tie, no shoes with rubber soles
- snow-white ball gown (no crinoline, no glittering applications)
- white elbow-length gloves
- white shoes
- Jewellery: matching the 2020 tiara, preferably small pearl earrings or discreet ear pins with transparent stones; NO large, colourful earrings, no necklaces please, or only very thin/discreet ones (preferably pearls or transparent stones)
- no wristwatch
- hairstyle: a pinned-up ball hairstyle is compulsory.
- black tailcoat
- white waistcoat
- white gloves
- white bow tie
- black patent leather shoes
- black socks
- No breast pocket handkerchiefs (if you have one, please put it into your pocket for the opening), no wristwatches – a pocket watch may be worn, but is not essential.
- hairstyle: please trim your beard, hair neatly brushed, possibly styled using gel, no open hair (if you have long hair, it must be tightly tied in a ponytail)
- no visible tattoos or piercings
- no unusual hair colours, such as blue or pink