Make Your Debut At The Vienna Opera Ball
Each year, the defilé of the young ladies and young men’s committee is the highlight of the Vienna Opera Ball and at the same time the opening of a glamourous ball night.
Some 150 couples aged 17 to 24 feverishly await this moment: entering the world’s most beautiful ballroom once in their lifetime in an elegant, snow-white evening gown or tailcoat!
This is how you can apply as a debutant at the Vienna Opera Ball:
To be admitted to the young ladies and young men’s committee, you need to meet a number of requirements:
- very good left-turn waltzing skills
- age limit: minimum of 17 and maximum of 24 years
- you are allowed to open the Vienna Opera Ball only once.
Please understand that applying couples will be admitted on a preferred basis (individual applications by exception only).
For ladies and gentlemen from Vienna and Lower Austria
Please present yourself personally at the opera ball office:
9 and 10 October 2017
10 a.m. -12 noon and 2-4 p.m.
Please bring a recent passport photo..
For ladies and gentlemen from the rest of Austria and from abroad
Please send a letter of application, including your CV and a photograph, to the opera ball office by 1 September 2017.
Opera Ball Office
Ground floor, room 111
The audition for registered couples from Vienna and Lower Austria will take place in the Gustav Mahler Hall at Wiener Staatsoper in November 2017. (Entrance at the corner Herbert-von-Karajan-Platz / Ringstrasse.) Please bring a valid photo ID!
Dress code for the audition:
Ladies: black skirt, white blouse, no shoes with plastic soles
Gentlemen: black suit, white shirt, tie, no shoes with plastic soles
Some 4 weeks after the audition, the applicants will be informed by post whether they have been accepted for the opening of the opera ball.
The following rehearsals have been scheduled for the preparatory phase:
- 3 rehearsals in Vienna for couples from Vienna and the surroundings
- 1 rehearsal in Vienna for couples from the rest of Austria
- 1 rehearsal for couples from abroad
- 2 main rehearsals at the Gustav Mahler Hall of the Wiener Staatsoper for all
- Dress rehearsal on Wednesday 7th February 2018 in the ballroom of Wiener Staatoper
Dress code for rehearsals:
Ladies: black skirt, white blouse, fleshings, no shoes rubber soles
Gentlemen: black suit, white shirt, tie, no shoes with rubber soles
January 14th, 2018: Rehearsal at the dancing school Svabek*
January 21th, 2018: Rehearsal at the Gustav Mahler Saal, Wiener Staatsoper
January 28th, 2018: Rehearsal at the Gustav Mahler Saal, Wiener Staatsoper
February 2nd, 2018: Rehearsal for couples from the rest of Austria at the dancing school Svabek
February 3th, 2018: Rehearsal at the Gustav Mahler Saal, Wiener Staatsoper
February 4th, 2018: Rehearsal at the Gustav Mahler Saal, Wiener Staatsoper
February 7th, 2018: Dress rehearsal in the ballroom of Wiener Staatoper
* Tanzschule Svabek
Tel.: 01 23040
- snow-white ball gown (no crinoline, no glittering applications)
- white elbow-length gloves
- white shoes
- Jewellery: matching the 2018 tiara, preferably small pearl earrings or discreet ear pins with transparent stones; NO large, colourful earrings, no necklaces please, or only very thin/discreet ones (preferably pearls or transparent stones)
- no wristwatch
- hairstyle: a pinned-up ball hairstyle is compulsory.
- black tailcoat
- white waistcoat
- white gloves
- white bow tie
- black patent leather shoes
- black socks
- No breast pocket handkerchiefs (if you have one, please put it into your pocket for the opening), no wristwatches – a pocket watch may be worn, but is not essential.
- hairstyle: please trim your beard, hair neatly brushed, possibly styled using gel, no open hair (if you have long hair, it must be tightly tied in a ponytail)
- no visible tattoos or piercings
- no unusual hair colours, such as blue or pink